Ammie's Thanksgiving Travels to Several Remote Relations of the Worldby Jonascum Swift
THE AUTHOR of these Travels, Mrs. Jonathan Cannon, is my ancient and intimate Friend; there is likewise some Relation between us by her Husband's Side. About three Months ago Mrs. Cannon, growing weary of the Concourse of curious People coming to her at her House in Madison, visited a small tract of land, with an apartment convenient to many in her family, near Kansas City in Missouri, where her sister now lives.
After she returned from Kansas City, she left the Custody of the following Papers in my Hands, with the Liberty to dispose of them as I should think fit. I have carefully perused them three Times: The style is very plain and simple; and the only Fault I find is, that the Author, after the Manner of Travelers, is a little too circumstantial. There is an Air of Truth apparent through the whole; and indeed the Author was so distinguished for her Veracity, that it became a Sort of Proverb among her Neighbours at Madison, when any one affirmed a Thing, to say it was as true as if Mrs. Cannon had spoke it.
Mrs. Cannon hesitated to tell her story, because many of her relations also visited Kansas City at the time she wrote of. However, they are known to be Bald Liars. Her Veracity is well Established, and therefore her version of Events should be paramount.
And now I can procede with her story.
Having been condemned by Nature and Fortune to an active and restless Life, in sixteen Months after my Marriage I again left Madison, and took to Kansas City. We then set sail, and had a good Voyage till we arrived in the Kansas City Stake Center, where we settled for a meal with our family relations.
My family members were huge creatures. Even the babies, Caleb and Ethnee. Though the "little ones" were cute, I had quite a time putting Ethnee down for her nap, especially when she remembered that I was not her mother. I had not recalled how huge they were, especially the Farmer. I attempted to make casual conversation. "Oh, how lovely is this Sweet potato with nuts and marshmallows."
"What a juicy turkey that is."
"What a large selection of pies--nearly one for each of us."
The giants simply stared at me. The Farmer by this time was convinced I must be a rational Creature. He spoke often to me, but the Sound of his Voice pierced my Ears like that of a Water-Mill, yet his Words were articulate enough. I answered as loud as I could, in several Languages, and he often laid his Ear within two Yards of me, but all in vain, for we were wholly unintelligible to each other. He then sent his Children to their Work, and taking his Handkerchief out of his Pocket, he doubled and spread it on his left Hand, which he placed flat on the Ground, with the Palm upwards, making me a Sign to step into it, as I could easily do, for it was not above a Foot in thickness. I thought it my part to obey, and for fear of falling, laid myself at Length upon the Handkerchief, with the Remainder of which he lapped me up to the Head for further Security, and in this manner carried me to the Kitchen. There he called his Wife, and shewed me to her; but she screamed and ran back, as Women in Idaho do at the Sight of a Toad or a Spider. However, when she had a while seen my Behaviour, and how well I observed the Signs her Husband made, she was soon reconciled, and by degrees grew extremely tender of me. This lengthy process was excedingly Surprising to me, as she was, in fact, my own Mother.

The Accuracy of the subject matter may be questionable, but the Illustrations are, as my mother would say, "fantabulous"!
Most of this text was blatantly plagiarized from Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travel. I copied the text from http://www.jaffebros.com/lee/gulliver/front/publisher.html
17 comments:
Ha! Didst thou learn nothing of the woes of plagiarising whilst teaching 115? OK, OK. I think it's really funny. I'm excited to see the pictures too. At which time I shall probably comment again just for the heck of it. :)
I learned that the best parts--the parts about my dad being humongous and my mom being afraid of me--are plagiarized. I wrote the conversation parts myself.
Yay! You will comment again! The pictures are the best part that wasn't plagiarized.
LOL Yes, the pictures are wonderful and fun. You have such a cute family! and such a lot of it too! I'm tempted to throw in the towel and travel to Idaho just to annoy your parents and your little bro and sis. :) Never mind. I was going to ask something, but suddenly realised that a blog comment is probably not the best place to do it. I'll ask, if I remember, when we chat again. Whenever that happens to be. Gosh, is it 8:30 pm already... hooray! I can go to bed in an hour and a half.
Hmmm. Now you've got me curious. If your question is, "Is Ammie pregnant?" the answer is, "No." But Mindi and Rachelle are. I think I may have told you that, but for the rest of you comment readers, Mindi is due in June and Rachelle is due in March. So you can look forward to more fun new baby pictures then.
In the meantime, Heidi, you can study and sleep. And I can scrapbook and sleep, and put in the occasional prep time for next semester--today I am reading the book I'll be teaching from. Good idea, eh?
BTW, I took some of the online quizzes that came with the textbook, and I got a 60% on the first one after having read the chapter, and an 80% on the second one not having read the chapter. Needless to say, I am not asking my students to take these quizzes for anything but completion points. I stand by my answers on the first quiz. One of the questions was, "T/F: Every job requires writing." I chose false, and the quiz, being biased, said I was wrong, because every job starts with a written application. I beg to differ! I worked on my dad's farm without having a written application. Granted, I am his daughter, but none of the non-daughters who worked for him filled out written applications.
Of course, since he is a giant, maybe he just fears us all into good behavior.
Hee. You and good behaviour? SURE... that's not an issue. Well, yes, you guessed my question. :) oo oo oo, I went running again this morning, hooray! I'm starting to keep my new year's resolution. One of them, anyway. Aren't you proud of me! Hmm... the non-daughters who worked on your dad's farm were the sons? So of course they wouldn't have to fill out applications. :-D Just kidding. I know what you mean. I hate doing job apps and things like that. Bah. Humbug. I'm scrooge incarnate.
Yes, hating job applications makes you stingy and a Christmas season party pooper. That's so like you, to be stingy with the apps. Send some my way! (Okay, please don't. I really don't want them. I have a job for next semester, and after that I don't care. Please don't send me any. I'll have enough pretend resumes to read and grade anyway.)
I'm glad you went running. I should do that. Or Taebo. But last week it made my arms hurt... Boohoo for me.
:-D But if you do it this week, then your arms will hurt less, and next week, even less, and if you just keep doing it, eventually your arms won't hurt at all! That's the amazing thing about doing exercise. If you just keep at it, eventually the hurting part goes away...
I KNEW I had some claim to being Scrooge. Even though I like Christmas. A lot. Hmm... I think I should consider going back to the States for Christmas next year... not that it'll be possible. But I might have to think about it. Think about going to my aunt and uncle's in Idaho this time around, as I've never had Christmas with them before. Hmmm. Very intriguing thought. Hmmm.
I think you are more of the Grinch than Scrooge. HeidiGrinchy has a nice ring to it. You steal all the applications from the townspeople so they can't, um, celebrate job searches.
That's what we are doing: celebrating Jonathan's search for a job. Actually, I am enjoying life. I have a job. He's the one who is dreading translating his CV into Italian and sending off job applications. I'm not very sympathetic. I did it for a month last year; now it's his turn.
So why are you hoarding job applications, when you only need scholarship and funding applications? Grinchy!
Heh. Only a month? Who's hoarding job apps? Certainly not me! I'm hoarding, um, fat cells. Yeah. Fat cells. Do you want some? You're welcome to them. I certainly don't want them anymore!
Yeah! We can swap fat cells! Like liposuction them out of our tummies, and inject them into our lips. That's so gross. Besides, I've heard that liposuction is very painful, and that doctors break into sweats when they do it because it is so vigorous. I figure, rather than having liposuction done on myself, I should volunteer to do it on other people. We'll all get skinny that way!
LOL. Hooray! for really sick and twisted ways of losing weight. I think I'll stick to running, and if it doesn't work, at least I'll know I tried!
Cool! I was looking at the Convocation (faculty training) schedule for tomorrow, and they have a session about health! Maybe they'll help me get a membership at the MATC fitness center, and then I can pay to not work out!
Hurrah!!! I love paying to not work out. LOL. I wish you luck with this most recent insane exercise and diet plan.
It should at least take money out of my checking account, therefore forcing me to cut down on eating out or eating junk food. . . Yes, it's a very good plan.
I can think of so many better things you could do with the money than that... like buy more books, for instance. Or, to cater to your whims, buying more crapbooking stuff. Or something. Don't spend money to exercise when you can do it for free, that's what I say...
True, true. And I don't spend money to eat fast food. I eat it when my friends treat me, and sometimes on road trips when the crackers and fruit we've brought along just doesn't cut it. Luckily, I learned that I can go to the MATC gym free! Yay! I think I'll go before work, if I go at all. Today I'd like to do TaeBo at home. *sigh* If I ever get into an exercise routine!
You and me both... I keep getting sick or being gone at unearthly hours in the morning or all sorts of other things that are messing my exercise routine up really well right now. K. Time for a new post. I'm getting bored with commenting on this one now. :D
Post a Comment