Friday, October 20, 2006

Olbrich Gardens

First off, you'll all be happy to know my cellulitis is gone. It isn't just recently gone. It's been gone for quite a while. Which is good. I don't think I could have handled two months of an itching rear end. It would have made for very uncomfortable commuting to Mequon, near Milwaukee, where I am teaching two classes at a small Lutheran university.

And it would have given my students at Madison Area Technical College another reason to complain that I'm not very teacherly. They insist I am only pretending to be their professor, although I don't know any reason why someone would--for kicks only--create and grade essay assignments, let alone wake up early to teach at 7:30 AM.

Thus I have turned my attentions to healing from colds and cellulitis, and also to convincing my students I am, in fact, a professor. I try to wear frumpy clothes and get chalk lines on my rear and tummy. I think that helps a little. I'm also developing an intense technological inprofficiency, which, although helpful, also means that I have forgotten how to access and publish posts on my blog.

Today I've suddenly remembered how, mostly because I have several essays to grade and midterm grades to calculate, and I need some sort of project to distract me from my work.

So here are the fruits of my playing: pictures of Ethnee, Mindi, Jonathan, me, and pretty orchids. We also had fun looking at the butterflies. Jonathan took about seventy pictures, so we did end up getting some good ones of the butterflies and the orchids.

Mindi came to visit us in August, and I am anxious to visit her again in November. I'm going to bring a picture songbook we used to sing from as kids--Jonathan has a copy. I'm sure she'll love singing, "Choo Choo Choo, What's coming down the track?" and, "I've got something that you haven't got. It's a little puppy and I call him Spot."

Ethnee and I might spend time throwing her sunglasses in the pond. She had fun with that at Olbrich gardens. I think she was upset because we wouldn't let her fall into the pond, so she threw her sunglasses into the darkly dyed water.

Jonathan rolled up his sleeve and felt around for them for a few minutes, but to no avail. So Jonathan and I walked around with a very mommy-sick Ethnee while Mindi went inside to find someone to fish out the glasses. In the end, Ethnee got both her mommy and her glasses back.

Ah, Ethnee was so cute, and so fun to play with. Her cuteness (and my failed efforts to pretend to be a professor) make both Jonathan and I anxious to be parents. Or at least visit our families more often. Thanksgiving will be wonderful when we crash Mindi's place. But Mindi and Rachelle better keep a tight hold on Ethnee and Caleb.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, what a fun trip! and you're finally proving that you are ALIVE... very good! I'm glad to hear it. :)

Ammieloris said...

Yes, I am alive now, although it's doubtful that I've been alive for the past two months. :) Zombies are appropriate around Halloween, thank goodness!

Anonymous said...

LOL. You'd make a rather healthy looking zombie...

Ammieloris said...

Healthy! Healthy! What an awful adjective! Healthy as in FAT!? You are so mean.

Anonymous said...

LOL no!!! Meaning zombies are supposed to be half-decayed bodies with no soul. You are most certainly not half-decayed and soulless! So. Healthy as in alive and well and sans cellulitis!

Ammieloris said...

Yes, we are all pleased that my cellulitis is gone. However, now another embarrassing body part of mine (my armpits) are super sensitive, so that I have to try different types of deoderant and try not to irritate them (the armpits, not the deoderants) by shaving or wearing clothes. I've actually fantasized about getting out of teaching this semester by developing some nasty skin disease for which I must live nude. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

LOL I don't think you're going to get out of teaching that easily! As for your armpits... Yuck. Besides, I'm sure deep down in your heart of hearts, your issue really is that you don't want to irritate the deodorants. It has nothing to do with your hairy armpits. You and Jonathan will be Aunt AND Uncle Hairy Gorilla if this goes on too much longer... Hee hee

Ammieloris said...

Yes, I am an irritant. As a former roommate of mine, you surely know that. In case you were wondering, I haven't changed. Just ask Jonathan, who lives with me now.

LOL myself! I love that we can be Aunt AND Uncle Hairy Gorilla! My dad used to always call us his strapping young gorillies (as in girlies). I'm seeking to prove him right while I'm still young--if you are old, I only have two years left to become the hairiest gorilly around.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. You make me giggle. I just wish you were online. I'd hate to have to live with you if you let your armpit hair keep growing until you are the hairiest gorilly in town. I guess at the end of the day, though, if Jonathan doesn't care, why should I?

Ammieloris said...

My response is too gross. I emailed it to you. I'm protecting the innocent who read our conversations because they think we're nice. Of course, I'm also protecting the stupid or uninformed, because if they knew us better they would know we are anything but nice.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. Well, Michael never reads your blog or the comments... he'd probably get a kick out of it if he did, and I think he's the only friend I have who knows I'm not nice. 12 years of friendship later, if he hasn't figured it out, then something is wrong! LOL

Ammieloris said...

Of course there is something wrong with Michael. I've known that for the last what--four years? I can't remember how long I've known him. My excuse is that I'm still in my twenties. My 60+ yr old friend said that her twenties were a blur. She remembers getting married at 22, and then suddenly she was 30. Therefore I've decided that the twenties are fair game for mishap, adventure, and making friends with people like you and Michael.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Well, I'm glad you know that there's something wrong with all of us. Now. I have a suggestion to make... that sometime this weekend, say, Saturday or Sunday, you and I make a pact to put new, cool, random posts on our blogs cause to be honest, I'm loving the comments, but i'm getting bored with not having some new misspellings to comment ON... And I suspect you're getting rather tired of going to my blog and seeing the same old thing day in and day out...

Ammieloris said...

Haha. I'll make that pact for Saturday or Sunday. I might go to a symphony on Saturday, and that sounds like much fun. In the meantime, I can give you a new misspelling: apolopgy. That was the title of an email I sent to a student at whom I snapped yesterday. :) That's its own story!

Anonymous said...

Aw, bless, at least whoever it was tried to apolopgise! LOL. That's hilarious. That's almost as good as my "there was the sound of shattering glass followed by the death of silence." I'll never forget that one. At least, I hope I won't. It's too funny.

Ammieloris said...

Um, it was me who tried to apolopgize. Didn't you get that? Besides, the more interesting part is why I was snapping at him. But if you don't ask, I won't tell.

Anonymous said...

Oh, YOU apolopgised! I see. Yes, I did misread that. And I figured you'd probably tell me why you were snapping at him eventually, so I wasn't too worried about it. :-D